- Speaker wires may be the most common culprit to damaged speakers, receivers and amps.
- Consumers were convinced they need 10AWG -12AWG monster speaker wires to get good sound.
- If the wire is not trimmed properly and has whiskers it can short output transistors.
- Obviously it-is important to know how distance and resistance affect gauge of speaker wires. (Read below).
- You shuld know the length of speaker wires directly affect the gauge of the wires the lower the resistance the better the results.
- Most importantly it is not the gauge or type of speaker wire you use but how well it is connected.
Stereo Repair USA
- If I open a receiver and inspect wire connections from the speaker protection relay to the back speaker connectors in most cases you find it is only 28 to 24 gauge wires on 100W per channel amp.
- So if your speaker is located 10 feet from receiver or amp you don’t need 12 gauge wires. 16 gauge wires will be more than enough.
- The biggest problem with large gauge wire is you can’t fit to the connectors on receiver or speakers wires touch each other and it not possible to make good connections.
- It is very important wires fit the opening on t
he receiver speaker connectors and make a good strong connection without touching each other. 5 Myths About Speaker Wire
Speker wires solution and help
- Rule number one turn off your receiver when you are inspecting your wires or you could damage your receiver.
- Therefore inspect your speaker wires and see if they are looking good, no whiskers and if they are securely connected on receiver and on the speaker connectors.
- Then again trim wire and twist them tightly and carefully install back and secure connector tightly.
- Obviously if you need help, we will trim end connections with solder and color code them with shrinking tube material.
- The most important preventive measure to ensure no damage to the receiver and have quality sound is very good speaker wire connections.
- Of course good connections will get the best sound from inexpensive speaker wires and also bad results from expensive wires which could damage your equipment.
- To sum up I am not telling you what speaker wire to use.
- Obviously you have to understand how important to have clean and solid connections or you will damage your equipment.
Read more about speaker wires audiophile tests
Maximum Speaker wire lengths for two conductor copper wires.
- Wire size 4 Ω load 8 Ω load
- 22 AWG 6 ft 12 ft
- 20 AWG 10 ft 20 ft
- 18 AWG 16 ft 32 ft
- 16 AWG 24 ft 48 ft
- 14 AWG 40 ft 80 ft
- 12 AWG 60 ft 120 ft
- 10 AWG 100 ft 200 ft